Yes, you read that correctly. Skyrim Special Edition is getting Survival Mode DLC. Announced here on the official Bethesda website, this new mode is in beta right now on Steam and you can opt-in here. Survival Mode DLC will come to Xbox One and PlayStation 4 sometime early next month. It will be free for one week on all platforms but will be a paid DLC afterwards. Bethesda has not specified a price.
The Survival Mode DLC changes up quite a bit, so here’s a quick list of everything affected:
- Hunger, you’ll need to eat
- Warmth, regions range from tolerable to downright freezing
- Fatigue, if you don’t sleep you’ll suffer for it
- Freezing water, I don’t recommend swimming with the Horkers
- Fast Travel, it’s been removed
- Health Regen, also removed
- Leveling up, you’ll need to rest in a bed
- Carry weight, say goodbye to a fair bit of it
- Diseases, there’s more of them and they get worse over time
- Shrines, the gods are greedy, you have to pay gold to be cured
Additionally, here’s a map that might come in useful:
For a more in-depth look at the changes be sure to check the official page here.
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim was released on November 11th, 2011. That the remaster is still getting new DLC is something to behold indeed. After all, Skyrim is coming to the Nintendo Switch and PlayStation VR, so why not make more content? Although, I’m not really sure how I feel about Bethesda charging for what is basically a large mod (admittedly, one that will still function with achievements / trophies). While PC players have had mods that are quite similar for some time, this will be the first time console-only players have had access to this type of challenging gameplay alteration. Hopefully we get a price and release date soon.