Ubisoft’s The Division Closed Beta was, by most standards, an overwhelming success. Players spent a lot of time in-game completing objectives and backstabbing each other in the Dark Zone. It was a grand time.
In response to reports that some fans were unable to obtain codes to the Closed Beta, Ubisoft has decided to hold an Open Beta on February 19th through the 21st. Xbox One players get an early start on February 18th, but what has changed between the betas?
If you’re unable to view the video: contrary to initial reports, Ubisoft reported via a forum post that your progress in the Closed Beta will not carry over to the Open Beta. This is interesting, considering players who took part in the Closed Beta simply have to download a small patch to upgrade to the Open Beta.
This patch to version 1.01 includes several changes outside The Division‘s Dark Zone:
- Players can complete a new mission: “Subway Morgue.” In this mission, players will come face-to-face with the Cleaners – one of the game’s most terrifying foes. Players will explore a mass grave while trying to restore power to the city, and will also seek to rescue an engineer.
- Players will be able to unlock the tech wing, its first upgrade, and the deployable turret skill.
- A new and improved tutorial video, which is also accessible via the Character screen.
Inside the Dark Zone players should also expect significant changes:
- New high-end weapons are available.
- The refresh rate on Dark Zone chests has been greatly reduced.
- Players will encounter more NPC enemies in the Dark Zone.
- Dark Zone NPC enemies have been buffed slightly.
- While in combat as a level 5 Rogue, the Manhunt timer pauses instead of refreshing.
- The reward for surviving as a Rogue Agent has been increased to 1.5x the Kill Bounty.
- The Health Bar for agents only turns red when they become Rogue, which should lead to less friendly-fire incidents.
- A new warning icon has been added for an agent who has shot another agent, but has not done enough damage to go Rogue.
- The Dark Zone experience leveling curve has been adjusted slightly.
- Players can no longer transfer Dark Zone brackets while Rogue, which prevents a quick escape (this was abused a lot in the Closed Beta).
- A new Ubisoft Club Action has been added to unlock an exclusive in-game reward.
Several bug-fixes have been added. Highlights include:
- Fixing two issues that allowed players to become invisible.
- Fixing a ballistic shield bug that made players invincible.
- Cheat detection and prevention additions and upgrades.
- Adjustment of player movement speed while running with grenade in-hand.
- Multiple stability fixes.
- Multiple localization fixes and improvements.
- Several server optimizations and improvements.
It’s great to see these kinds of changes between Beta versions, and it’s exciting to see Ubisoft address several issues that players (including myself) reported. If you weren’t part of the Closed Beta, you can pre-load the Open Beta, starting on February 16th. You can find more information about the Open Beta at Ubisoft’s official website for The Division.
Don’t forget that simply starting the Open Beta is enough to unlock an in-game reward for the full version of Tom Clancy’s The Division on March 8th. We’ll see you in the Dark Zone! (just don’t shoot us in the back).