We have been waiting patiently for the release date of the highly anticipated Nindie called The Messenger which was showcased on the Nindies Showcase last March.
The wait is finally over according to a press release by PopAgenda and a trailer on the official YouTube channel of Devolver Digital.
Only a couple of weeks to wait
The official release date for The Messenger is August 30th, for both PC (via Steam) and Nintendo eShop. The game is available for pre-order at $19.99 US / $22.79 CAN (Steam) / $25.19 CAN (eShop). At the moment of writing this article, as a pre-order bonus, you will receive:
- Steam: A 2 original tracks EP composed by Keiji Yamagishi, the composer of the Ninja Gaiden franchise.
- Nintendo eShop: 15% discount (so, it is $21.41 CAN / $16.99 US).
If you would like to have more information about the game, you can take a look at what I wrote last March about it right here. I was also able to try out the game in a special demo at this year’s Montreal ComicCon. (The details of my experience are here.)
Here are the official summary and features list coming from the developers:
As a demon army besieges his village, a young ninja ventures through a cursed world, to deliver a scroll paramount to his clan’s survival. What begins as a classic action platformer soon unravels into an expansive time-traveling adventure full of thrills, surprises, and humor.
– Dynamic, acrobatic gameplay and ultra-tight controls worthy of an epic ninja adventure.
– Character upgrades, new abilities, hidden levels, and branching paths to discover
– Meticulously designed 8-bit and 16-bit sprites, animations, and backgrounds in the spirit of the classics
– A memorable cast of offbeat villains, bosses, and associates
– Original soundtrack by renowned chiptune composer Rainbowdragoneyes, handmade using Famitracker.