More news out of Gamescom 2018 from the Inside Xbox live stream. A special ‘documentary’ with Xbox’s ‘Major Nelson’, gave us some insight into the development of PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds (PUBG). Most interesting of all is the revelation that the game will be leaving early access and becoming a full retail release.
And, you won’t have to wait that long. PUBG will be leaving Xbox Game Preview and going to ‘PUBG 1.0’ as of September 4, 2018. Two weeks today!
Check out the reveal in the video below:
Following 18 patches since its release on Xbox One nine months ago the game will be leaving early access; the announcement comes with a whole host of detail, which we’ve listed below for you.
The announcement was keen to stress that although the game will become a ‘Full Product Release’ it doesn’t mean that support will stop. Moving forward Xbox One players can look forward to the following:
- Sanhok map – Inspired by the islands across Southeast Asia, Sanhok is a 4×4 compact battleground. The map is smaller, making for more intense face-offs. Sanhok will introduce all-new weapons and vehicles in addition to the debut of dynamic weather changes for the first time on Xbox One.
- War Mode – a deathmatch-style battle royale gaming experience where players hunt each other in a static zone, respawning players back in with a parachute and weapons if they’re killed. Teams get points with kills and reviving teammates, and the team that reaches certain points in the game wins the battle.
- Achievements – these will carry over from Xbox Game Preview to Full Product Release.
- Introduction of an in-game currency to purchase cosmetics
- Event Pass: Sanhok – this will allow players to open up more missions, more levels, and other permanent rewards on the Sanhok map.
- Exclusive in-game DLC ‘Xbox #1.0/99 set’ – a collection of clothing and accessories inspired by the Xbox brand. This will be available in retail copies of the full release as well as full release digital purchases.
Good news if you already own PUBG in Xbox Game Preview; you will receive all of the above content (including the Xbox #1.0/99 set) through free content updates. Specific timelines have yet to be specified so it unlikely that all this content will be made available on September 4.
But the announcements didn’t stop there. A brand new Xbox One controller has also been announced which is entirely PUBG. Sporting a rather slick black camo effect, the new controller launches October 30, 2018 and comes with exclusive DLC themed on the controller’s design. The controller is up for preorder now for $69.99USD.
Check it out below (me likey):