Helping to kick off fall is the Gears of War 4 September Update, the penultimate update in the promised one-year support of new content every month. On top of that, it’s available to download for Xbox One and Windows 10 right now. Revealed on Xbox Wire, this update brings two more maps (as usual) in addition to some new achievements, matchmaking improvements and more! (As always, italicized paragraphs are direct quotes.)
Here are the two new maps:
This month also brings major improvements to your matchmaking experience in Gears of War 4! In the coming weeks, we’ll be switching from Region Locked matchmaking (matching you only with players in your choice of Region) to a new Quality of Service matchmaking system.
What does this mean for you? We’ll match you on local data centers with players of similar connection quality more often, resulting in fairer and better quality matches every time you play.
More to come!
More stuff will be rolling out across the month, including Ranked Season 2 and new Gear Packs that begin with the return of the Locust Sniper.
What’s next for Gears of War 4?
The Gears of War 4 September Update is the second-to-last promised update however, support won’t be stopping there. Here’s a list of some things coming after October 2017:
- Xbox One X Enhanced Update, featuring support for 4K, HDR, Dolby Atmos and new graphical enhancements
- New Gear Packs containing characters and weapon skins to add to your collection.
- Monthly Versus and Horde events with exclusive challenge-based rewards
- Major Seasonal events like ‘11 Years of Gears,’ ‘Gearsmas’ and – yes – ‘Thanksgibbing!’
- Ranked Seasons with skill placement rewards
- Continual balancing improvements to Versus and Horde
- Refinements to ‘Casual’ mode in Campaign with increased player health and damage dealt
- New achievements
More maps is always a great thing however, personally I’m very excited to see Mercy return. I’ve got quite a few fond memories of Gears of War 3 Horde on that map, so it will be interesting to see if it still holds up. Until next month, enjoy!